Good Housekeeping recommends having your carpets professionally cleaned once every 12-18 months. Doing so will prolong the life of the carpet, keep them looking clean, and keep your carpet free of bacteria.
Searching online for a carpet cleaning service in your area will give you tons of options, but how do you know which service to choose?
Choosing a Cleaning Method
There are several methods of cleaning to choose from when it comes to professional carpet cleaners.
Having your carpets cleaned using a wet method will prevent you from walking on the carpet until it has fully dried. This may not be convenient in high use rooms.
Using a dry method will allow the room to be used soon after cleaning, but may use chemicals that could adversely affect small children or pets.
Several cleaning companies offer environmentally friendly cleaning products which should reduce any adverse effects.
It is important to determine which method works best for you and your family prior to calling carpet cleaning companies.
Do Your Research
Knowing what method you want used will narrow down your carpet cleaning options; it is now time to get to know the prospective companies.
This requires speaking to potential vendors and asking questions that will give you a better perspective, in order to further narrow the field.
- How long has the company been in business? The answer to this question can reveal much about the company.
- What certifications do your technicians hold? It is best to hire companies that ensure the technicians have proper certification such as from the IIRC.
- How does your pricing structure work? Be wary of companies that price “by the room” as room sizes differ; these companies are generally looking for the up sale. The best pricing is by square foot; know your measurements before you call.
- Can you give me an estimate over the phone? Nothing is worse than getting a surprise regarding cost after a job is complete. Work only with companies that will give you an estimate with which you feel comfortable.
- Can I get the names and numbers of previous customers? This is an excellent resource when attempting to determine the quality of work the company provides.
Asking these questions should once again narrow the options for prospective services.
Now it is time to go online and look for online reviews of the companies still in the running. Entering the name of the prospective companies should net some good results for this information.
There are sites available that are primarily for the purpose of reviewing services. You may want to check those sites as well.
Feeling Comfortable With Your Choice
Allowing a stranger into your home is always an uncomfortable feeling. So you will want to ensure that the company you choose does thorough background checks on its technicians.
Going through these steps will help you find a professional carpet cleaning company that meet your needs and make you feel comfortable.
With any luck, you will have made an excellent choice, become a repeat customer, and forego all these steps the next time your carpets are in need of professional cleaning.
Share This Article: